Fresh and flavorful Homemade Tzatziki Sauce is a creamy yogurt-based sauce perfect for the summer served with kabobs, grilled veggies, pita bread and more! This recipe is easily made in just 5 minutes with a few simple ingredients!
I absolutely love a creamy tzatziki sauce and this one only takes 5 minutes to make! This recipe is made with a mixture of full-fat plain Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh herbs and pairs perfectly with Greek or Mediterranean dishes. This Greek yogurt sauce is cool, refreshing and is a great way to balance out spicier dishes. A delicious summer staple that tastes great served with so many things!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Cool, refreshing and super simple to throw together.
- Only 6 ingredients and easily made in just 5 minutes!
- Perfect addition to your your favorite Mediterranean dishes.
- Delicious summer staple!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Greek yogurt – plain full-fat Greek yogurt is what you want to use in this recipe or you could even use sour cream as a replacement for the yogurt.
- cucumbers – I like to use English cucumbers as they are crisp and seedless, but you could also use mini cucumbers. I also like to leave the skin on the cucumbers when grating them to get those extra nutrients and fiber. If you are using regular cucumbers, just make sure to scoop the seeds out before grating them.
- olive oil – I like to use a good extra virgin olive oil that doesn’t have to be expensive, just make sure it’s cold-pressed and organic for the most flavor (in my opinion).
- lemons + zest – I just love the bright, zingy flavor the lemon juice and lemon zest brings to this tzatziki dip!
- garlic – you can use fresh chopped garlic or minced garlic cloves from the jar.
- fresh herbs – I used a combination of fresh dill and fresh parsley, but you could also add some fresh mint for even more flavor.
- salt + pepper
How to Make Tzatziki Sauce
The best part of making this Greek tzatziki recipe is that it comes together in just 5 minutes! Here’s how to make it in just 3 simple steps.
- Grate the cucumber. No need to peel your cucumber, just start grating it on a large box grater. If using a regular cucumber, make sure to scoop the seeds out before grating.
- Squeeze out the water. Using a kitchen towel, paper towels or a fine-mesh sieve, squeeze out as much liquid from the grated cucumber as you can to get all that excess moisture out and prevent the tzatziki sauce from becoming too watery.
- Mix everything together! In a medium bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill the Greek tzatziki sauce in the fridge until ready to serve!
Prepping and Storing
This homemade tzatziki sauce recipe will last in the refrigerator in a sealed, airtight container for about 3 days, but I definitely suggest using it within the first day or two for the freshest taste.
How to Serve Tzatziki Sauce
More Mediterranean Recipes
More Dips and Sauces You’ll Love
Hope you all enjoy this Homemade Tzatziki Sauce and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated cucumber, water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pinch of pepper
- Using a large cheese grater, shred the cucumber (no need to peel it). If using a regular cucumber, make sure to scoop the seeds out before grating.
- Using a kitchen towel or paper towels, squeeze out as much water from the grated cucumber as you can to prevent the tzatziki sauce from becoming too watery.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve!
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 53
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Sodium: 72.7 mg
- Fat: 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.3 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.