Easy and flavorful Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl that comes together in under 20 minutes packed with so much flavor! Perfect healthy weeknight dinner served over rice and garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.
If you love quick and easy recipes packed with flavor then you are going to LOVE this chicken egg roll in a bowl! All your favorite Asian flavors in one healthy, low carb dish that tastes way better than take out! Fresh ingredients cooked all in one pan in less than 20 minutes. My favorite kind of meal if you ask me 😉
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Easy to make all in one pain in just 15 minutes!
- Packed with delicious Asian flavors and makes a perfect healthy dinner for busy weeknights.
- Makes a great low carb meal all on its own or serve over rice.
- Leftovers last 4 to 5 days in the fridge so this dish is great for meal prep!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- ground chicken – you could also use ground pork, ground turkey, ground beef or even sausage.
- olive oil – this helps prevent the ground chicken from sticking to the pan as it cooks.
- garlic + ginger – fresh garlic and fresh ginger are definitely best in this dish
- soy sauce – I always use low-sodium soy sauce as I find that regular soy sauce can make dishes too salty. You could also swap the soy sauce with tamari or coconut aminos to make this gluten-free or paleo.
- sesame oil – adds a delicious nutty flavor to the dish
- roasted red chili paste – adds a little heat along with a boost of flavor, you could also add some red chili flakes or sriracha if you want even more spice.
- coleslaw mix – I used a bag of rainbow coleslaw mix found at the store, but you could use broccoli slaw or simply use 4 cups of shredded cabbage and carrots.
- green onions – adds flavor and a pop of color.
- sesame seeds – optional garnish used to make the dish look complete!
How to Make Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Cook the ground chicken. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken to the pan, season with a little salt and pepper (you don’t need much since there is a lot of sodium in the soy sauce), and cook for about 6 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through, stirring to crumble.
- Make the sauce. While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and roasted red chili paste in a small bowl.
- Mix together. Once the ground chicken is cooked through, add the coleslaw mix to the skillet and stir everything together until the coleslaw mix has softened. Drizzle with the sauce mixture and stir well until everything is completely coated. Cook for a few more minutes until sauce has thickened and season as needed.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve this egg roll bowl over white or brown rice, or enjoy as is, and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
- Change up the protein – I used ground chicken for this dish, but you could easily use ground turkey, ground pork or even sausage for a different flavor.
- Add more veggies – I kept this dish simple using a bag of coleslaw mix with green onions, but you could also add in more veggies like chopped zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, peas, sliced bell pepper, additional carrots, etc!
- Serving ideas – we enjoyed this over brown rice, but you could use white rice, cauliflower rice as a low carb option, quinoa, or simply enjoy this egg roll in a bowl all on its own.
- Vegetarian/vegan options – feel free to forego the meat in this recipe and use tofu crumbles, tempeh or even scrambled eggs.
- Need a little sweetness? No problem! Simply add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to the sauce for a little added sweetness.
Prepping and Storage
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed, airtight container and will last for 4 to 5 days in the fridge making it great for meal prep. When you’re ready to enjoy, you can easily reheat this in a skillet on the stove or right in the microwave.
More Asian-Inspired Recipes
Hope you all enjoy this delicious Chicken Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five-star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram using the hashtag #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all your delicious recreations!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 lb. ground chicken (or ground turkey, beef or pork)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste (just a little to season the chicken)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken to the pan, season with a little salt and pepper (you don’t need much since there is a lot of sodium in the soy sauce), and cook for about 6 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through, stirring to crumble.
- While the chicken is cooking, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and roasted red chili paste in a small bowl; set aside.
- Once the ground chicken is cooked through, add the coleslaw mix to the skillet and stir everything together until the coleslaw mix has softened. Pour the sauce in the skillet, stirring well until everything is completely coated. Cook for a few more minutes until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice, or you can enjoy the meal as it is, and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 708.2 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 23.2 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.